Bobbi-Anne McLeod: Council leader apologises for comments made about safety after 18-year-old’s disappearance
The leader of Plymouth Council has apologised for comments he made in the wake of Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s disappearance.
Nick Kelly, a Conservative politician, told ITV News: “Everybody has a responsibility not to try to put themselves in a compromising position.”
He added: “Equally, that isn’t the solution – the solution shouldn’t be that women need to be concerned about where they are walking or what they are wearing – or indeed males or young people.”
Cody Ackland, 24, has been charged with the murder of Bobbi-Anne after a body, believed to be that of the 18-year-old, was found close to the beach at Bovisand, near Plymouth.
The 18-year-old was last seen at around 6pm on Saturday 20 November. A woman’s body, which has not been formally identified, was found on Tuesday afternoon.
Following his prior comments, Cllr Kelly wrote an open letter.
In it he said that he wanted to “start by wholeheartedly apologising, particularly to the family and friends of Bobbi-Anne McCleod, if reported statements made by me earlier this week have caused distress and upset”.
He added: “I want to emphasise that in no way shape or form was I ever suggesting that Bobbi-Anne McCleod did anything wrong.
“I am aware that a snippet from one interview I carried out, relating to general community safety issues in the city, and comments made in an informal conversation, have been used to imply the opposite.
“It could not be further from the truth.”
In the initial interview, Cllr Kelly added: “People want better solutions and they want a society that’s more respectful and [where] the streets are perceived and feel a lot safer.
“And that’s where the police play their part, and the council will play our part.”