Community funds available

Solihull Council is calling on community groups in seven wards to bid for funding for capital projects in their local area.

Bids for these funds must be submitted by Friday 16 August 2019.

The funding has come from the new Neighbourhood Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL). This was introduced by the Government in 2010 as a more flexible way of addressing the demands of new development in the local area.

The wards where funding is available are Dorridge and Hockley Heath, Knowle, Olton, Shirley East, Shirley South, Shirley West and Sillhill.

Funds are collected from new developments as part of the normal planning process. The funds are either placed into ‘ward pots’, which will now be open to ‘bids’ or distributed directly to the 13 parish and town councils in the borough via a formula.

Groups and organisations must be formally constituted, have a bank account with two unrelated signatories, at least two unrelated management committee members if they are an unincorporated organisation or a voluntary group and show good financial management procedures including record of income and expenditure.

Currently each of the wards has the following funds available:
Dorridge and Hockley Heath: £26,835
Knowle: £10,993
Olton: £18,484
Shirley East: £54,276
Shirley South: £24,817
Shirley West: £21,276
Sillhill: £47,344

Bids will be assessed by officers against a set of criteria agreed at Cabinet held on 24th September 2019 and a final decision will be taken by the Cabinet Member for Stronger Communities and Partnerships

Councillor Alison Rolf, Cabinet Member for Stronger Communities and Partnerships, said:
“This is a fantastic opportunity for local groups and organisations to get funds to invest in capital projects that will benefit their local community. I urge those community groups in the seven wards to think about the bids they can submit and to get them in before 16 August.

“For those living in one of our parish or town council areas, the CIL funds are distributed to directly those organisations, so if you have an idea contact your local parish or town council.”

Further information:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: